DIY Patched Denim Jacket
Fashion trends are quite facsinating. It starts so subtly; you see a detail; a fabric; a silhouette; a vibrant colour that you like. Initially, you may not even know that it’s a new “trend” coming along, you just know that you like it. Then – boom – there is the explosion and you suddenly see it everywhere-all-around-you. This is what I feel happened with the patch and badge trend; I started to see global street-shots and Hong Kong kids putting pins and patches all-over their shoes, jackets and pants. Then, it hit the FW’13 runway; Philip Lim built his collection around patches and denim, and Moschino went for a tailored-tartan x patch-look. Shortly after, you could see patched merchandise all-across the high-street (Zara has a denim pant in store now that you can check out here). I always loved non-permanent- ways to update my clothes, and sewing on a couple of patches is as easy-as-it-gets. It’s probably not needed a step-by-step guide but you can still see how I went about below as well as the final result. Happy Crafting!
- Denim Jacket
- Patches & Badges
- Thread and Needle ( Sewing Machine if you have)
1. Patch selection: I used 11 patches for my jacket. I looked for patches in different shapes and sizes. I also wanted patches with text and one large size for the back of the jacket. Think about what you would like to decorate your jacket with. Perhaps even make a political statement?
2. Pin the patches onto the jacket. You can try different positioning until you feel satisfied with the result. I positioned mine in a random manner across the jacket as I wanted it too look “messy” and spontaneous.
3. Attach the patches. You can find iron-on patches if you don’t want to sew. However, I prefer to use the sew-on kind so they can be removed in the future. I used my sewing machine to sew on the large patch for the back.
Ta Da! Ready!
Styling and photo by the lovely Jasmine Moore. Lots of thanks!
If you like what you see, make sure to give a LIKE at my page www.facebook.com/shoeboxliving! Happy Crafting!
Dream. Craft. Blog x Bella
- Blog: www.shoebox-living.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/shoeboxliving
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/shoeboxliving
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DIY Patch Jeans (marieclaire.com)